Sunday, April 3, 2011

Acting Day One

A couple weeks ago I went to an open casting call for a movie set in Shanghai, so obviously they needed Chinese/Asian looking people. So I went with my mom to it but she didn't want to do it but at least I got an updated photo on my file for free!

Last week I got a voicemail from the acting place but by the time I listened to it it the person left for the day. So I was pretty bummed that I didn't get a gig because I need moneys.

I was randomly listening to the lines and they still needed Chinese/Asian people. It was for a 3 day call. That's more than I've worked last year combined (but that's because I had school). They're all night shoots and I've never been on a night shoot. I've heard people talk about it being brutal. I was hoping it wasn't.

The place I had to drive to is in Santa Clarita which is pretty far. I was driving and I actually passed Six Flags. I didn't really run into traffic so it took less than an hour and a half. I had to drive up a dirt road. I felt hick-ish hahah!

I brought a ton of clothes because they wanted options and I was playing two roles. The wardrobe people picked the first jacket I took out, they didn't even look at the other stuff I had. Ugh. BUT this time they gave me additional clothes to work.

So there was a lot of wait time. I made some friends, they're better off in this business. They were pretty friendly and fun. All 3 of the guys did/have experience in martial arts, that's pretty cool. The girl was really pretty, she looks like an Asian Blake Lively. The Korean guy was pretty cute, he reminded me of Aaron Yoo except a bit cuter.

There were tons of bugs in our holding tent. One of the larger bugs landed on this guy’s crotch, he proceeds to punch his own crotch, it was hilarious. Such a bad move on his part.

Finally it was time to go on set, surprise all the crowd clothes people have to get into their other roles. I'm a lantern carrier so I got a special outfit, make up and a prop. I felt like a proper actor. It felt pretty cool. Some lady did my hair and then they changed their mind and put my hair back down. Sad because the lady took care into my hairstyle. I got crazy make up put on me.

All's done and we all get on set. They built a whole set for a downtown Shanghai scene. It was pretty incredible, the detail are really nice.

We had to get a lot of direction because there were a lot of people in the parade scene. There were actually too much. They wanted people who were crowd before to go back to being crowd. So we go back to take off our make up and get redressed into our other clothes.

Oh it's time for LUNCH! By the way, "lunch" was at 12:30am. Sigh. There are so many bugs buzzing around. Oh also Ethan Hawke is in this movie, so yeah. I know he's famous but I don't exactly know what he looks like and I've only seen one of his movies and it was a flop. Hahaha!

Lunch was good I was super hungry. They had some really good skirt steak and the best almond tirimisu cake.

During lunch some girl comes up to me and ask if I could take her place as a lantern carrier because she double booked herself for another show where her call time interfered with this day's shoot. So I go back to hair and make up and go back to that role.

Standing outside with a ton of church incense swirling around. It's pretty cold and we're doing a whole lot of just standing. People need to get their shit together.

So lots of waiting/standing. Ethan Hawke passes through our little parade. He pushed me in one shoot but that was part of the acting.

SOOOO We finally wrapped up at 7am. YES 7AM! Earlier in the day I woke up at 7am for an 8am class and only had a 40 min nap. AND I still had to drive home. Luckily it was against traffic. I got home took off my make up and fell asleep.

Time to go do it allllll over again. I worked a 12 hour shoot. But at least I got 4 hours of overtime. I am doing it just for the money (and free food).

No comments: